Tibits (London)

Having had a good whinge about a nearby v*gan restaurant recently, I've nothing but good things to say about Tibits.

Though I know Soho well; the other side of Regents Street is unknown territory. Therefore, whilst I've known of Tibits existence for a number of years, I've never randomly walked past and eaten there before.

I'd planned to visit October Cafe, but it was 9am and I didn't fancy waiting around for it to open at 10. I wanted to try somewhere else new, so found Tibits' location via google.

The format is similar to Aloka in Brighton - fill a plate then get charged by weight. Everything is vegetarian and the majority marked as vegan.

I'd been up for several hours by this point, so had an early brunch, costing a reasonable £6.40:

I've a feeling that they've more hot things available at lunchtime, but I was pretty happy with what I got.

I can't remember what everything was; I had a spoonful of each thing that looked vaguely good. There was definitely a black quinoa thing, some dhal, a fig and tofu salad, cucumber and tofu, a bean thing and some pasta. It tasted pretty decent and was all very fresh.

They've put a bit more effort into decor than most places, but whilst flock damask is totally my thing, I'm not 100% sure that the overall effect is to my taste:

I didn't have room for dessert, so got an apple turnover to take away - again reasonably priced at £1.70.

I took a photo, but I was on a train by this point and the dodgy lighting makes it look a lot less appetizing than it was!

The pastry was as close to perfect as I've ever had. They could have been slightly more generous with the filling and for absolute perfection; included some custard too, but now I'm really picking!

So, Tibits hasn't wowed me enough to be in my top 10, but I'll certainly return and would suggest it to others.

The food is above average value for money - you just won't find yourself laying awake at night longing to eat there again, that's all.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Hello, Just discovered your very discriptive blog and now wondering what your top ten is? Thank you

  1. Steven said...:

    Have been back to Tibits many times since this post and prices have definitely gone up - last night's plate was £15.50! That's definitely pushing it in terms of value for money.

    There's some fluctuation in available options, but not regularly enough to want to go more than once a month. Their focaccia was never amazing, but I've not seen it now in ages.

    The main thing that's put me off visiting as much as I could has been the attentiveness/attitude of the staff. Just before xmas they'd labelled the items wrong so it looked as if a vegetarian dessert was vegan. The 3 members of staff I mentioned it to clearly couldn't have cared less. They also claim that the staff know about vegan options for booze, but the majority I've spoken to really don't. There's even non vegetarian booze available there.

    If they improved the menu and staff then it'd be a real winner. For now it's a once every few months / make sure it's vegan kind of place.

Post a Comment